Monday, May 25, 2009

Spiritual readiness

Baseball practice, soccer practice, football practice, band practice, new employee orientation, 4 years of training before each Olympic event, drivers ed, reciting the ABC's over and over and over! YIKES!! When do we get to do the real thing??

Well, practice is training, and both help against defeat. Both require 'repetitive action to become more skillful'. So, I challenge myself and you to practice and train for the christian life.

Young Christians are often confused about certain situations they may be faced with during the course of their day and NOT know what to do. Even mature Christians are sometimes indecisive. This comes from a couple reasons: untrained to make the right decision, or knowing the right choice but choosing not to do right.

I want to give a few suggestions for training, as the 'choosing' is a matter between you and God. (though I do encourage you to do right)

How to train/practice the Christian walk.

1. Knowing what you believe is the start, and probably the most basic principle to grasp. I Peter 3:15 tells us to 'be ready always to give an answer of reason why we believe what we believe'. THIS comes from reading AND studying.

2. Surround yourself with other Christians who can encourage you and share with you what they have done in similar situations, and the blessings they received.

3. Situational rehearsing. Role play. Yes, this is the practice and training. I will give an example of soul-winning. Sharing our testimony to a group of non-believers can be intimidating if you don't know what you are gonna say. Practice among a small group or one on one. Possible introductions, question and answer, asking the person if they want to make a decision, and a sinners prayer. These should all be things we as Christians know how to address. Let's be fruitful.

How about peer pressure? SEX! I most certainly hate Satan's attack on our young people today! 'Everyone is doing it', 'what's so special about what you got', 'don't you love me', 'you're not hurting anyone'. Whether it's your friends, or Satan telling you these things YOU are the one to make the final decision. Young person, listen to me, you only have one 'first time' with everything. Don't be in such a hurry to give something away that is so precious. Virginity. Practice saying 'NO' in the mirror. Once you realize that this is a sin it may be a little easier for you to commit to 'NO'. Our society has disregarded the truths of God, and are now suffering the consequences. Just because abortion is legal in government does not take it off the 'sin list' with God. Just because 'gay marriage' is legal in government does not take it off the 'sin list' with God. Just because 'everyone is doing it' does not take it off the 'sin list' with God.

I hate sin, more so now than ever. I have struggles in my life today that are there because of seeds planted over 30 years ago. Satan is a master farmer. He knows how to work the soil, cultivate, feed, and grow a crop. BUT! his crop is not good for digesting, it is poison.

I will stop now before this turns into a sermon. I have just recently had some news of a very dear person I know who has chosen to sign his virginity over to Satan. I wish I had a crowd of teenagers to preach to right now. I have love to preach, and deliverance that God offers. Satan is NOT your friend.

Satan is NOT your friend. You are created in the image of God, how could Satan possibly like you? He is a deceiver, remember that.

Practice goodness, practice soul-winning, practice saying NO. NO. NO to Satan. And YES, YES, YES to what is right. Plant good seed.

I love you all who read this, in Christ.

2 comments:

  1. I love it when people find a real spiritual application or lesson in what most everyone sees as routine. The video and your supporting observations were splendid Bro. Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Previous comment left by your new friend Tony Mannon ;o)~

    ReplyDelete