Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I have not forgotten

A very influential person early in my life died last year. She gave me my first Bible when I was 8 years old (1971). What a Christmas gift.
She was my neighbor, invited me to church and became my Sunday School teacher, she was also my sitter when my parents were working. Then when I was 12 years old she led me to the Lord in salvation.
Ann was influential in a lot of childrens lives. She had a calling that way. I also know she prayed for me often. I don't know how many years she kept this up but one verse comes to mind as I ponder my life.
Psalms 119:61 says, "The bands of the wicked have robbed me: but I have not forgotten thy law."
My full joy in Christ has been robbed as I allowed sin to rule a good portion of my life. And I am sure it was the early teaching, and prayers of an obedient servant that kept me from falling off the page of God's will. The many scriptures I have memorized were often tugged at by the Holy Spirit, and I always knew that I should be serving God.
I tell you this for two reasons: To honor Ann, as a great lady of God. Teaching, praying, and being an example for all the children she led during her life here on earth.
And to encourage YOU. Christian sitter, Bible teacher, Sunday School teacher, prayer warrior, christian neighbor. YOU are building a foundation for some kid today that may have a way out of sin later in life when they say, "The bands of the wicked have robbed me: but I have not forgotten thy law." It is God's pressing word that brought me back into service. Who will I influence? Who will you influence?
Ann also helped me memorize my first Bible verse. John 3:16

This Bible sits in my office as a memorial.
In memory of Ann Pritchard. My first Sunday School teacher. The giver of my first Bible. And the one who showed me how to have life more abundantly through Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

  1. This is very encouraging.

    As we all have someone who lead us, and we will lead others.

    ReplyDelete