Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Balance?

Where in the Bible does it teach to have a 'balanced' life? Maybe in Ecclesiastes where it talks about 'a time for this a time for that'? The more I read the Bible and the lives of the apostles, Jesus, and those that came after outside the Bible like Whitfield, Spurgeon, Moody, Hyles, Booth, Bounds, and countless others I find that balance is definitely not what God wants.
To us balance is to put the Bible away, put the tracts away, and spend time with family. Maybe watching TV, or going to a sports game, or visiting relatives, or whatever. THAT is good stuff. BUT why leave the Bible at home? Why leave the tracts on the counter? I think many Christians will be caught in the balances, and found lacking.
For the past year I have observed my church, visited churches, talked to other people about their own church, visited numerous websites of churches, talked to people on the street about church, and this is my conclusion. Put your seat belt on.
#1 I believe there is a close percentage of equal value between backslidden Christians outside the church and dead Christians inside the church.
#2 I have seen a very close resemblance between a social club with rules and standards and many of our independent churches today. Instead of being ALIVE, HOLY toward God, and making a difference in the lives around us, the church today has seemed to settle in to a comfortable padded, gas warmed, electric cooled, indoor plumbing, running water building where a group of really, really good people congregate to listen to a weekly message of which the majority have no intent of applying to their lives.
#3 I am under the impression that sign up sheets for get-togethers for food, fun, or fellowship activities use more ink in comparison to the gas it would take to drive to the church to come for a prayer meeting. That gas is still in the tank.
#4 I have literally seen a parking lot full of cars going to a youth rally but empty for visitation. Then the youths are not rallied to do anything other than wait for the next youth rally.
#5 It use to be when men were called to preach they would go off to school and learn as much as possible about the Bible and then go out and serve the Lord. But many who now are called run to the nearest 'sign up' sheet for any open preaching opportunity and think they have fulfilled their godly calling.
#6 As we continue to teach about David and Goliath, Samson and Delilah, Noah's Ark, Jonah and the whale, we have Jehovah Witnesses, Muslims, Mormons,Shamanism, New Agers and other cults falsely indoctrinating their youth to proselyte others.
#7 I have seen a wicked contentment of 'waiting on the Lord'. I am not encouraged
'to go' as often as I think I should be by others.

So, what does all this mean? Well, first of all, if you are offended by any of this then you may be part of the problem. I am not the perfect Christian by any stretch of the imagination, but I do desire to get back to what Jesus actually had in mind for his church. AND if hell is real, and heaven divine, then why are we so selective in our witnessing? I want to see families unite their time for Jesus. I want to see our churches under attack by Satan. Isn't that a sign that we are doing something for Christ? I think it is.
Well, this could go on and on, but I want it to end with an emotion from our Lord and Saviour, author of our salvation, Jesus. Found in John 11:35 'Jesus wept'.
I believe Jesus wept because of those around him weeping. He saw they knew they had NO HOPE. We need to see others around us that they have NO HOPE.
I trust if this blog did anything, it would be to ask yourself, 'what did Jesus really want my church to be like?"

God bless.

3 comments:

  1. wow Bro. Larry, Seems to me I have heard this message a few times before. Thanks for the reminder, the encouragment and the stirring that we need. When Christ becomes the full focus of our daily lives we WILL be different. You are always such a challenge to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone said, "If every church were just like me, then what kind of church would my church be?" There is more truth in that than what we realize.
    AMEN brother! I agree wholeheartedly. I feel that many have a profession and no possession. By in large, most American churches have an americanized view of Christianity. Bottom line... most are concerned with themselves and not the needs of others... whatever that need might be!

    Andrew Schank

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete